Important points related to United Nations Secretariat-
1. The Secretariat — an international staff working in duty stations around the world, carries out the diverse day-to-day work of the Organization.
2. It services the other principal organs of the United Nations and administers the programmes and policies laid down by them.
3. At its head is the Secretary-General, who is appointed by the General Assembly on the recommendation of the Security Council for a five-year renewable term.
4. The duties carried out by the Secretariat are as varied as the problems dealt with by the United Nations.
5. These range from administering peacekeeping operations to mediating international disputes, from surveying economic and social trends and problems to
preparing studies on human rights and sustainable development.
6. Secretariat staff also inform the world's communications media about the work of the United Nations; organize international conferences on issues of
worldwide concern; and interpret speeches and translate documents into the Organization's official languages.
7. The Secretariat has around 43,000 staff members around the world.