Important points related to International Court of Justice-
1. The International Court of Justice (ICJ) is the principal judicial organ of the United Nations (UN).
2. It was established in June 1945 by the Charter of the United Nations and began work in April 1946.
3. The seat of the Court is at the Peace Palace in The Hague (Netherlands). Of the six principal organs of the United Nations, it is the only one not located
in New York (USA).
4. The Court’s role is to settle, in accordance with international law, legal disputes submitted to it by States and to give advisory opinions on legal
questions referred to it by authorized United Nations organs and specialized agencies.
5. The Court is composed of 15 judges, who are elected for terms of office of nine years by the United Nations General Assembly and the Security Council.
6. In order to ensure a measure of continuity, one third of the Court is elected every three years.
7. The Court elects President and Vice-President for a term of 3 years.